[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Design proposal to kill pristine trees

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Design proposal to kill pristine trees
Date: 09 Oct 2003 11:01:35 +0900

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
>     > What I probably really want is `local' revlibs.  Having a hook that
>     > returns a revlib path allows me to do this without getting into big
>     > arguments over what the right algorithm is.
>
> What algorithm?  What do you mean by "local revlibs"?

> You do realize that tla does not currently add to a revlib except
> under explicit direction, right?

Yes; I'm thinking of the future implementation where pristines use the
revlib mechanism.

> In the future, perhaps that will change -- but if it does, you'll
> certainly be able to override that behavior with a hook that adds the
> revision to the revlib of your choice.

Sure -- but of course it would be nice if it used the _same_ revlib(s)
for getting revisions too.  If there's a `find revlib' hook, of course,
I could hack that and have it ignore or augment the path.

>     > Perhaps adding enough hacks in _other_ hooks might address the
>     > hard-linkability issue (though I'm not convinced of that yet),
>
> _What_ issue?  If some code wants to build a link tree, and it has a
> choice of revlibs, it should look for one that it can actually make a
> link tree from.

Certainly; that's what I meant.

> > of the above address the `manageability' issue -- global resources
> > get to be a pain beyond a certain point.  It's like the comment
> > about pristines being nice under {arch} because they go away when
> > you remove the tree; I want something a little different, but for
> > similar reasons.
>
> ?

Was my explanation really not clear, or do you think it's wrong?

Revlibs can use up a lot of space, and maintain them adds overhead; I'd
like to divide them up in a way such that certain groups of project
trees use a certain `close' revlib.

For instance maybe every project dir underneath /long/path/src/... would
share the same revlib directory /long/path/src/.arch-revlibs.  If I
then delete /long/path/src, all the revlibs go away too.

Using a static path, I have to (I guess) list every such `local' revlib
in the path, and the wrong one might be used in some cases.

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.