Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla archives return value

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla archives return value
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:03:23 +0900

    Nathan> I'm new to arch, and I have to say that this type of thing
    Nathan> is what makes the learning curve for arch so steep.  WAY
    Nathan> too many commands.

This is a problem with the output of "tla help", not with tla.  You
don't have to use those commands.

Suppose tla help were changed to output only the recommended forms of
commands mentioned in the tutorial, unless you gave it an option: "tla
help --full".  (I don't know if Tom would sign off on that, though.)

There's also the tla-newbie script approach (not yet implemented AFAIK).

    Nathan> Why do you object to returning a nonzero return value for
    Nathan> a search that failed in tla archives?

[Not speaking for Tom.]  I think Tom's objection is natural.  One
reason is that "tla archives" does a number of things, any of which
could fail, in a number of different ways.  Thus you want to be
careful about specifying the interface so you don't get in the way of
other useful extensions to be proposed later.

By defining a new command you get exactly the API desired.