[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:55:05 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>

    >     Tom> But have you noticed that, even with everyone using arch, we
    >     Tom> also use the savannah bug tracker as a crude approximation of
    >     Tom> a patch tracker?

    > Who's this "we", White Man?  That's your tool, no?  I don't recall
    > seeing any cscvs patches in there, for example.

What are you burbling about now?   "We" is the set of people using the
savannah bug tracker as a crude approximation of a patch tracker for
the gnu-arch project.  If you get around to submitting any changes
you'll pick up on it, I would hope.   cscvs is a separate project and
I'm not sure why you'd mention it in this context -- but from what I
can see, the cscvs project uses an unholy marriage of private mail,
gnu-arch-users mail, and #arch irc traffic as a crude approximation of
a patch tracker.

    >     Tom> In designing tools to help manage the communication with
    >     Tom> those hubs, it is a good principle to keep in mind to not
    >     Tom> erect artificial barriers that keep the location of hubs from
    >     Tom> shifting over time or multiplying in number.

    > Who's erecting barriers?  There's this damn big river, and you're
    > planning to throw a rope across.  I've got nothing against rope, I'm
    > just saying it's a bad idea to expect to drive a bus over it.

    > Making Linus and even the whole gatekeeper collection faster is a
    > worthy project.  But it seems you think something is going to make it
    > possible to get Linus off the critical path.  Don't hold your breath.

I don't have to get Linus off the critical path.  That happened a few
years ago (quite independently of bitkeeper, too).  He could decide to
quit tomorrow and, aside from sites carrying his message being /.'ed,
there'd be relatively little practical impact.