Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:44:25 -0400

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 17:39, Tom Lord wrote:

> The issues being discussed in those threads are site specific:  the
> person setting up the archive has neither administrative control over
> the host machine or a reliable ability to make reasonable requests of
> the administrator of the host machine.

I think we disagree on the definition of "reasonable".  To me,
"reasonable" does definitely *not* include having to create new accounts
for every project.

The problem with new accounts is that it has a large amount of
administrative overhead; it's another home directory, it's another
possible vector for guessing passwords, you have to worry about whether
it's expired or not, you have to deal with who has access to the
account, etc. etc.

There's some irony in that one of the touted features of arch is that it
doesn't require a complex server (i.e. sysadmin overhead), but I think
most system administrators will be as resistant to creating so many
accounts as they would be to a fragile server.