Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cscvs and tags

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cscvs and tags
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:16:16 -0500

Generally speaking, cscvs's tagging support is a little iffy right now.
In particular, the tag-location logic needs fixage (to, among other
things, say "this tag just isn't on this branch" when appropriate);
after that's done I'll feel more comfortable adding functionality that
takes advantage of it.

In any event, there are at least a few places where correct tag output
could come in handy in scriptage (one of those is doing a branch-aware
totla which uses the tagging logic to figure out where branches come
from); it may just end up being The Right Thing to simply make 'cache
-T', totla and the like make sanely machine-parsable output and let the
user write scriptage for whatever they care to do with the data.

Perhaps the tags to which a changeset applies could be written in the
changeset description, otoh, rather than having a separate output file?
Such still should be a fairly reasonable input to use when writing
3rd-party tools.

In any event, such a thing won't happen for a while: I'm fairly busy
with work right now (though I'm *not* too busy to merge in 3rd-party
cscvs changes, or answer how's-it-work style questions).