Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extension language

From: Joshua Haberman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extension language
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:08:47 -0700

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 20:58, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     David> As nice as it sounds, it is a bad idea.  You'll end up with
>     David> the same problem that vim has.  Vim can use Python, Perl,
>     David> Ruby and possibly others.  Since there is no standard
>     David> language to extend it in, extensions don't get used very
>     David> often.  It is much better to pick a language, and integrate
>     David> it well.
>
> Isn't it possible that vim users simply don't have an extension-
> writing culture?

They sort of do:

http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/index.php

> I mean, if writing extensions came naturally to
> them, wouldn't they be Emacs users instead?

There are a lot of other factors that influence an Emacs vs. Vim
preference.  After using Vim for a while I tried to like Emacs but I was
so used to Vim's modality that having to hit CTRL-foo to do anything
drove me crazy.  I also like vim's snappier startup time, and that vi
(if not vim) is available on any Unix.

Josh