Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Extension language

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Extension language
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:38:11 -0500

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 15:51, address@hidden wrote:
> This is very true; having had a indexing engine based on smbclient I can
> attest that its really horrible to support different versions.
> Things like global settings files turning off certain input levels can
> also totally make your life horrible.
> Having the application i18n-ed totally stops any keyword parsing in total.

Eh? So have a particular "translation" that you maintain that has
nothing but easy-to-parse strings, and set the appropriate environment
variable before starting the subprocess. Suddenly your job just got
easier.

> >     SCSH process notation (the whole ball of wax in a neat little package):
> >
> >         http://www.scsh.net/docu/html/man-Z-H-3.html#node_chap_2
>
> Thats a nonsense suggestion; for starters since it only works from c/c++
> Does it work from Java? Perl? Python?
> We were talking about support from several programming languages; this
> won't cut it.

Sure it (subprocess control w/o an intervening shell) works from Perl or
Python, and I'm pretty sure Java. Likewise on win32.

I'm not going to answer the rest of your message point-by-point. To put
it simply, though: I think a C API is a Good Thing -- but I also think
the "issues" you raise with a subprocess-based API have readily
available solutions.