Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:59:25 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    >   You appear to be an exceptional developer in your areas of expertise,
    > but you don't seem to have the experience with writing reliable java
    > applications that some of the ``java-fans'' have.

"reliable" is a long-term property.  An important aspect of
reliability (from the Java language design perspective) is what
happens when we integrate separately developed, separately evolving
program parts, repeatedly.  What we've learned in this thread is that
if the program parts are "general purpose", rather than written with
application-specific conventions, and if they can call out to any
methods that they do not define themselves, that they will need (in
order to be "robust and reliable") to adopt exception handling
conventions which:

        1) Reduce exceptions to something not significantly different
           from error codes

        2) _Aren't_guaranteed_to_be_correctly_compiled_!

In other words, the only way to robustly use exceptions in the
interface to a general-purpose Java library, other than in libraries
that call no code other than that they themselves define, is to not
use them at all!