Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:40:20 +1100

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 07:41, Tom Lord wrote:

> Let's split some (relatively thick, actually) hairs.
>
> A "master repository" that provides a reference for ids: good thing,
> probably (though, now that you raise it..... at least an assumption to
> question a bit).

Lets do so then...
Currently, there are two non-source intrusive id generation schemes:
.id files.
names.

the names id style doesn't support source tree reorganisation.
the content of .id files is currently randomly generated.

Assuming that most folk will go with tagline (for future flexability)
and tla add the files - we'll end up with separate id's for the same
file in different repositories. And changing an id == a delete + add.

So - questions?

> A "master repository" that tries to encode all previous (or even
> ongoing) history at some arbitrarily fine level of granularity:  uh,
> sounds like make-work to me.

Agreed.

Rob