Re: [Gnu-arch-users] distinguished branch name, "clone"

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] distinguished branch name, "clone"
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 01:27:41 -0500

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 00:15, Robert Collins wrote:

> > > Nope. Minimally, create one file with one line in it.
> >
> > Why should each user have to go and create a file themselves?
>
> Who said that 'each user has to X' ?????
>
> Really. Re read what I said. Think about it. Then consider that if a
> config is a single line file you can put it on the website, or even the
> contents in your tagline on your emails.

Each user has to use a text editor, or use echo + shell redirection, or
some other method to create that config, copying the contents from a
website or whatever.  That's just making things more complicated than it
needs to be.

> > But how does this help the user track the latest sources?  Once they do
> > the 'get' it will still be a fixed version.
>
> It will be a config, and amenable therefor to the config approach I
> *already* described.

But where will the config file be checked out to?

> Why? There are different idioms for different management styles. Tom
> discusses this more later, but I think you really need to consider *why*
> you want to push *your* co-operation style onto everyone.

Because I think it's a common development style and also a good one.