Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recovery from accidental file deletion

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recovery from accidental file deletion
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:42:09 +0100

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 21:11:47 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:53:35PM +0100, Michael Teichgr?ber wrote:
> > Mirian Crzig Lennox <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Just now I've managed to accidentally deleted my working copy of a
> > > file which was part of an arch project; fortunately it had no
> > > uncommitted changes.  Is there any simple way to recover just that
> > > file from Arch without disturbing my other working files (since
> > > several of them have modifications I don't want to lose)?
> >
> > You could copy it from the pristine tree:
> >
> >   project/tree/root$ cp `tla file-find FILENAME` FILENAME
>
> I'm using the tla from @debian: tla-1:20031029-1
> it does not appear to have the functionality you are talking about:
>

> address@hidden:uicompiler$ tla get -A address@hidden uicompiler--mainline--0
> uicompiler
> * from pristine cache: address@hidden/uicompiler--mainline--0--base-0
> * making pristine copy
> * tree version set address@hidden/uicompiler--mainline--0
> address@hidden:uicompiler$ cd uicompiler
> address@hidden:uicompiler$ rm build.xml
> address@hidden:uicompiler$ tla file-find build.xml
> error finding file id (2: No such file or directory)
>  path: ./build.xml
> PANIC: arch_inventory_id
>
> ps. I also tried with the -A argument; no change.
> ps2. I used the default tagging method which is explicit.
>
> Any suggestions?

That looks like a bug. Well, more probably a deficiency in the
implementation. file-find first determines tag for the file (by the name
given), and then goes to the pristine tree, gets it's inventory and
fetches the file. Since the file does not exist, the first step fails.

Extending that command should be considered. But I am not really sure
what would be the RightWay to do it. (It should be kept that file-find
and file-diffs are implemented by the same function).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>