Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unmatched files

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unmatched files
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:49:19 -0500

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 21:01, Robert Collins wrote:

> Actually make dist suffers without tla inventory.
> You have to manually specify what is source and what isn't by hand - for
> each and every directory and file. That means you do it twice:
> once in Makefile.am's
> once in CVS/SVN/TLA
>
> That blows.

Indeed, it does.  However, 'tla inventory' or even a hypothetical
separate inventory program are NOT a solution for the near future.
First of all, 'make clean' needs to work in the tarballs I ship, and
that means it can't depend on tla or a separate program.

Even in the shorter term, I can't expect all my developers to use tla.
Even if I could convert everyone on the core Rhythmbox team (which is
actually mostly done, there are just a few holdouts), the GNOME
translators are a huge separate group.  There's many, many man-months
invested in CVS-based infrastructure for translation
(http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status), and tons of
translators have enough problems just learning CVS as it is
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-i18n/translator.html).

I have been putting a little bit of time though in investigating how the
translators use CVS, and thinking about how that might apply to arch.