Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unable to acquire revision lock

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unable to acquire revision lock
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:52:20 -0500

--- Original Message ---
From: Gurupartap Davis <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unable to acquire revision
lock

>>>Now I've got another problem:  I was testing the permissions
of my
>>>archive directory by committing a change as another user.
>>>

>>Gurupartap,
>>
>>Unfortunately this appears to be a fundamental "useability
>>problem" (to be euphemistic) at the moment.  If your umask is
>>such that directory creation is non-group-writeable, then a
>>commit by anyone in the group will create a revision lock dir
>>which prevents commits from all others in the group until that
>>lock dir is made group writeable.
>>
>>I'm having the same trouble, and this appears in my estimation to
>>be a rather serious bottleneck in arch's functionality at the
>>moment.  I am interested enough in a solution that I could
>>probably find an evening or two to spend working on it, if I
>>thought it would help.
>>
>>Bob
>>

>I recall CVS having the same problem, whenever you added new
files...

I don't think so.  If you use the setgid bit, I've never had this
problem, and I have a fixed and mandated umask.

>Setting the umask should help though, right?

If you're free to do so by default, then sure.  I'm not.  I think
this is not uncommon in any workplace for which security is a
priority.

   This seems to be more of
>a Unix filesystem related issue than anything to do with arch.
Why not
>just tell all local commiters to set their umask properly?  I
suppose it
>might depend on your OS version, but the way linux and OS X seem
to be
>set up, the default group of a new file is the group of the parent
>directory.

Only if the setgid bit is set.  But that's not the problem.  It
doesn't matter what group the dir is if it's not group writeable.

Bob