Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Lisp

From: Paul Pelzl
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Lisp
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:29:50 -0500

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:56:41AM -0800, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2003, at 5:38, Colin Walters wrote:
>
> >Another language that's good to learn just for learning (and isn't
> >quite
> >"mainstream") is Objective Caml.  It's a very cool language too; the
> >compiler is amazing.  But unlike Scheme and CL, I do occasional
> >programming in OCaml for real work.
>
>       I'll have to second ocaml.  It's displacing python as a general
> purpose language for me.  It doesn't ship with the library of tools
> python does[0], but inferred static typing means not having to wait
> until your program's been running for a couple of hours to realize you
> passed the wrong variable to a function under a specific condition
> (that was killing me in both a python and scheme version of an app I
> was working on).
>
>       It's also insanely fast.  I'm used to high level languages
>       sacrificing speed for ease of use.  ocaml gives a good deal of both.
>
> [0]:  Supposedly you can use perl libraries with it, but I'm not sure
> about that idea just yet.

I'll pop in just long enough to "third" Ocaml.  By the time I get my
code past the compiler, it usually runs as expected the first time; that
improves my productivity a lot.  The syntax is also pretty nice,
particularly the ML pattern-matching construct.

The standard library may not be as extensive as Python's, but it is
well-rounded, has a consistent API, and is very fast.

Paul