Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multi-committer functionality revisited

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multi-committer functionality revisited
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:19:36 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Robert Collins <address@hidden>

    > Sorry, I wasn't clear. This is how url's are formed: there's no choice
    > about it.

I don't think so.  Cites?

    > A URL as a uniform locator isn't intrinsically client or server side.
    > Indeed for something like http://, a URL doesn't define *many* aspected
    > of the request: PUT vs POST ve GET cs SEARCH vs ....

PUT, POST, GET, etc. are parts of the http protocol.

The thing about "sftp%umask=XXX" and "file%umask=XXX" are that they
are distinct protocols from sftp and file.   sftp%umask requires a
more elaborate login sequence;  file%umask requires a more elaborate
translation into system calls.

    >> The query syntax, on the other hand, modifies the request, not the
    >> method.

    > No - it modifies the parameters to be used at the given location.

They modify the path, not the protocol.  The umask thing modifies the
protocol.

    > Lets debug sftp://host/path/archive?umask=3D007

Is there a formal spec of sftp-method URLs?   What does it say about
query syntax?   I'd expect that path+query to be passed verbatim to
an sftp server.