Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [patch] New rbrowse command for tla

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [patch] New rbrowse command for tla
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:04:08 -0500

In lists.arch.users, miles wrote:
> James Blackwell <address@hidden> writes:
>> This proposed command adds "tla rbrowse -r REGULAREXPRESSION"
>
> You don't say what `rbrowse' _is_...
>
> Is it just like abrowse, except with regexps instead of a `fixed
> format' search string?

rbrowse is indented to eventually be a regex enabled equivilant to
abrowse. Right now it is capable of displaying the categories, branches
and revisions in the default archive, a specified archive, or all
archives (which is slow, but can be useful if you can't remember who has
"cscvs")

> Wouldn't make more sense to make this an option to abrowse instead?

Not for me it didn't. The abrowse code is deeply nested and is
full of conditionals that made flow difficult for me to navigate. As
much of the conditional logic would become redundant with the regex, I
decided to start off fresh with regex, then add the features in abrowse
one by one.

That said, I have absolutely no problem if you want to take a stab at
integrating regex into abrowse rather than abrowse features into rbrowse.

> [... and as a separate command, why is it necessary to use an option to
> specify the search term, which presumably you'll _always_ be using it?]

Though the initial rbrowse patches had a 'rbrowse -r [rexec] [archive]'
syntax, the current rbrowse has a 'rbrowse [-A archive] [regex]' syntax.

--
James Blackwell        Using I.T. to bring more                570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix        business to your business        http://inframix.com