Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [patch] New rbrowse command for tla

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [patch] New rbrowse command for tla
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:17:43 -0500

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 08:04:08PM -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> > Wouldn't make more sense to make this an option to abrowse instead?
>
> Not for me it didn't. The abrowse code is deeply nested and is
> full of conditionals that made flow difficult for me to navigate.

I was talking more about the user-interface.  If using the same code for both
is too hard, then perhaps an interim step would be to just add a -r/--regexp
option to the abrowse command, and when given, have it simply invoke the
rbrowse top-level (and remove rbrowse as a separate named command).

> As much of the conditional logic would become redundant with the regex, I
> decided to start off fresh with regex, then add the features in abrowse one
> by one.

Hmmm, that also suggests that unifying the user-interface now in a kludgey
manner (as above) would be good -- then if at some point you've made the
rbrowse handle everything abrowse does, the old abrowse code can silently be
deleted, and replaced by the rbrowse code, without the user knowing.

> That said, I have absolutely no problem if you want to take a stab at
> integrating regex into abrowse rather than abrowse features into rbrowse.

Maybe I'll try the simple approach above...

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!