Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:48:32 -0500

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:38:47AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > Well, Windows NT and descendants aren't directly derived from DOS.
>
> Yes, I know (although, don't they still contain some compatability
> code or is that gone by now?).

Well, NT is/was an OS/2 kernel with a Windows GUI.  Win95/98/ME were a
DOS kernel with a Windows GUI.  I don't know if the GUIs shared common
code, but certainly all the system-level stuff is fairly separate.

I believe the core of the OS/2 kernel was 'personalities' -- one
personality when talking to DOS programs, one when talking to another
class of programs, etc.

Hence, NT actually had fairly good compatibility with DOS programs
because it was like an early, more tightly-integrated VMware.  I don't
know if its DOS personality shared actual code with DOS, either, but
that was only one face to it either way.

And that's about where my (admittedly vague) knowledge trails off.