Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch/subversion comparison question

From: Rob Weir
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch/subversion comparison question
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:11:17 +1100

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:11:06AM -0500, Neal D. Becker said
> I was reading subversion doc, and one thing really caught my attention.  It
> says that svn doesn't keep track of which patches are already applied, and
> applying a patch more than once would cause problems.

Yes, it will conflict.  IIRC, you need to look back at your patch logs
and figure out how far up the branch you have merged back into mainline,
then merge only the newer changes.

> I believe arch doesn't suffer from this defect?  Is this correct?  To my
> thinking, that's pretty significant.

This is correct.  Each changeset in arch includes a "patch-log" (which
is a concept, as well as a physical file in {arch}), which will prevent
you from merging changes twice.  In place of the manual log search then
"svn merge" in svn, we merge branches in arch like this:

$ tla -t star-merge <branchname>

the "-t" is optional and tells arch to put the conflicts (if there are
any) inside the files, so you can more easily see what conflicted.

--
Rob Weir <address@hidden> | address@hidden  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day: 2600 Magazine Rand Corporation IMF investigation unclassified