Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ANNOUNCE: Spaces in filenames, finished

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ANNOUNCE: Spaces in filenames, finished
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:11:15 GMT

>     > From: "David A. Wheeler" <address@hidden>
>
>     > However, I'm a little mystified.  Why does the tla output by
>     > default use these escape sequences, even when all you
>     > want is a list of files?  Embedding the escaping mechanism
>     > in the output (instead of just the internal storage) adds various
>     > complexities to shell scripts, and you can be certain that people will
>     > forget to add the option where needed.
>
> So that output is, by default, syntacticly unambiguous.  Followon
> patches, once this is merged, can improve support for "human readable"
> output.

Er, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.  I understand why you'd need
escape sequences when the filename is embedded in something else,
that wasn't my question. When the output is ONLY a list of files,
the escaping seems excessive, because it complicates shell scripting.

> (Although review of the latest is pending, presuming it's fine):
> Cehteh has done the heavy lifting and the rest can follow.

Yes, and my hat's off to Cehteh!  Thank you.

So, consider this a comment that may turn into a followon patch,
wondering if there's a need for such a followon patch.

--- David A. Wheeler