Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Corrupt pristine tree

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Corrupt pristine tree
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:01:29 -0500

Peter Conrad wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 06:26:29PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
C. R. Oldham wrote:
I upgraded my Linux box and moved my home directory onto a new disk.  I
also upgraded to ext3.  Now on my trees I get

corrupt pristine (failed inode signature validation)

Whenever I try to commit.  The message recommends "You should remove
this pristine from your tree." How do I do that?
"rm -Rf {arch}/++pristine-trees" in the tree root

Is there any particular reason why tla doesn't do that by itself? I'm
getting that message fairly often (on a device mounted via cryptoloop)
and I find it pretty annoying.

tla doesn't remove corrupt pristines automatically because there should never be any.

Corrupt pristines are serious; they usually indicate a configuration problem or a problem with the way we check for corruption. I suspect in your case, your device number is changing, and that's not currently permitted. Covering up the problem would be counter-productive.

I'd recommend using revision libraries instead, on a standard filesystem like Reiser or ext3. I can't suggest a solution that keeps those encrypted, however. You can use the stat utility to find out whether your device number is changing. If that's all that's changing, perhaps stricter enforcement of filesystem mount order would do the trick. If the inodes are changing, there's no good option. You can disable the corruption checks with the patches in this branch, but I don't really recommend that. address@hidden/tlasrc--dangerous-nochecks--0
http://sourcecontrol.net/~abentley/archives/tlasrc

Side note: cryptoloop is considered insecure and being replaced with dm-crypt. http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2433

Aaron