Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Corrupt pristine tree

From: Peter Conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Corrupt pristine tree
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:26:15 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 08:01:29AM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Peter Conrad wrote:
>
> >Is there any particular reason why tla doesn't do that by itself? I'm
> >getting that message fairly often (on a device mounted via cryptoloop)
> >and I find it pretty annoying.
> >
> tla doesn't remove corrupt pristines automatically because there should
> never be any.

I agree that's a good reason.

> Corrupt pristines are serious; they usually indicate a configuration
> problem or a problem with the way we check for corruption.

What benefit is there in including the device number in the inode signatures?

Or, to put it differently: which of the user operations leading to modified
device numbers are endangering the integrity of the pristine and would not be
detected by other components of the integrity check?

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany