Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Corrupt pristine tree

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Corrupt pristine tree
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:57:25 -0500

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:32:13AM +1100, address@hidden wrote:
> > What benefit is there in including the device number in the inode
> > signatures?
>
> Presumably because inode is not unique, only (device, inode) is unique.

This is true, but almost certainly irrelevant -- a revlib entry isn't going
to cross device boundaries, nor is a revision library expected to continue
working if copied to a different device.*

As far as I can figure, the device number is pretty pointless in inode sigs
(though it is harmful).

* Note that inode-numbers alone allow _detecting_ such copied revlibs, with
  99.999% accuracy, and will properly trigger the existing corrupted revlib
  case.

  It might be useful to have some method for regenerating library inode-sigs
  to allow doing this, for use in rare circumstances, e.g., if you just
  upgraded your hard disk, and copied the old contents over.

-Miles
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.