Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Minor quibbles

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Minor quibbles
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:04:42 -0700

 So I would actually do the following:
 terse commands:
   mv-id
   rm-id
   mv
   rm
 verbose commands:
   move  (does mv-id)
   move --file (does mv, i.e. both moves the id and the file)
   delete (does rm-id)
   delete --file (does rm, i.e. both removes the id and the file)
  verbose synonyms:
   rename  (does mv-id)
   rename --file (does mv, i.e. both moves the id and the file)
   remove (does rm-id)
   remove --file (does rm, i.e. both removes the id and the file)

Since changing both file and id is the common case, it should be the default. As I see it, we can have "remove-id" or "remove --id", but not both approaches. And we already have "rm-id" and "mv-id", so we should stick with that approach.

Actually, there is no "rm-id" or "mv-id", there is only "move-id" and "remove-id". It was someone else who
pointed out that there should be a mv-id and rm-id.

I don't particularly seen the need for verbose forms, especially since changing that would mean changing the behavior of move.

 Nope, move is a synonym for "mv-id" like it is now.

 Really I'm only proposing these changes:

 --file     gets added to move and remove to do mv and rm
 remove     is a synonym for delete
 rename     is a synonym for move (never have liked that unixism)

Pierce