Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Minor quibbles

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Minor quibbles
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:41:01 -0500

Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:

I don't particularly seen the need for verbose forms, especially since changing that would mean changing the behavior of move.

 Nope, move is a synonym for "mv-id" like it is now.

Robert Collins doesn't like the fact that move does move-id, and if one of the main Arch developers sometimes gets tripped up by that, then it's probably a Bad Idea. I'd go so far as to call it user-hostile. I'm all for removing "move" entirely.

 rename     is a synonym for move (never have liked that unixism)

Oh, and I suppose this makes perfect sense:
$ alias rename="mv"
$ mkdir foo
$ touch bar
$ rename bar foo
$ ls -l foo
-rw-r--r--    1 abentley abentley        0 Mar 17 11:30 bar

I thought you wanted to make things simpler?! Your list contains 12 ways to express 4 operations, and it leaves out move-id and delete-id (which I'd be opposed to removing, deleting, trashing or expunging, since they're the canonical forms).

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology