Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:18:00 +0100

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 07:34:02 -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Jan Hudec <address@hidden>
>
>     > On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:32:38 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>     > > I made the changes i promised:
>
>     > >  versionfix-1
>     > >   accept escaped filenames on add, delete, move, id, library-file,
>     > > file-diffs, commit
>
>     > Unfortunately this breaks more than fixes, because usualy the filename
>     > is NOT from tla. And thus it WON'T be escaped.
>
>     > In other words I expect this to work:
>     > $ mkdir foo\\bar
>     > $ tla add foo\\bar
>     > But it says:
>     > PANIC: Illegal escape sequence!
>
>     > Please, make this behaviour optional, non-default before mergeing
>     > anywhere!
>
> Indeed -- the behavior (unescaping of command-line arguments)
> shouldn't be there at all, optionally or otherwise.
>
> A generic tool for applying a command to arguments, some of which are
> escaped, is needed.   Modifying every command that takes filename
> arguments to sometimes do unescaping is undesirable.

It was quite predictable you'll say that ;-) I tend to agree with you
that this it is a dirty hack.

On the other hand I tend to disagree the quoting
selected is reasonable. I also disagree, that it shouldn't support the
--null|-0 (like find's -print0), because that would work with xargs
right away and NUL bytes are not going in filenames as long as POSIX is
around (syscalls use NUL terminated strings).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>