[Gnu-arch-users] WebDav file permission problems

From: Armando Singer
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] WebDav file permission problems
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:54:58 -0800

I have an archive that is being accessed by both local and remote
users. The local users have the archive registered to the NFS location
(working trees are not on NFS), and remote users have the archive
registered to the http location with WebDAV enabled.

The permissions for files and directories added to the archive are
different with each access method. With WebDAV, files are added with
an extra write permission for the user, whereas they are added as
read-only for everyone when added directly.

More importantly, with WebDAV, all directories added, including
'++revision-lock', do not have write permissions for the group. But
directories created in the archive directly do have group write
permissions.

When a user accessing the archive remotely commits, local users cannot
commit because the lock cannot be moved.

I'm wondering if the permissions on files and directories created
through WebDAV can have specific permissions set through the
protocol. If so, it seems that the arch client, through the neon library,
should set permissions to be the same as with with direct archive access.

In my case, I'm using Apache with WebDAV enabled, writing to the
repository as a member of our development group. Apache seems to
ignore umask settings for the user that it's running as.

Any suggestions for a work around?

Thank you.

Armando