Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:08:56 -0700

Its not kosher for the "President" (by which I mean, Bush, Clinton or
Bush) to say:

   "Saddam is crazier then a sackful of weasels. He has to go."

I agree.   On the other hand, I think it would be kosher for the
president to say "Fuck it.   This is out of control.   We need to
dominate this region in military terms."

Ah, its so nice to talk to someone who isn't a total granola head on this issue.

However, it would not be "kosher" (bad word choice for this region, Tom) for us to say that. Besides, I don't think we want to dominate the region militarily,
that's too expensive. We just want to tip over one of the dominoes..

  Something about not having the leader of your country insult the
leader of
another country, or something. We could probably say it now, but no one
cares.

Right.   The hypocracy of the divergence between internal intention
and public justification is intolerable and dangerous.

Yeah, I can't fault the decision, just the deplorable public diplomacy.
Of course, I live in a cowboy state (AZ), so I really understand the
concept of "doing, not talking".

  The focus on the WMD issue irritates me, because I took the time to
read all the state department briefings rather then be told what to
think by the media, not to mention pages and pages of personal
research. Our decision to go into Iraq was quite complicated and
agonizing,

I don't think so.  I think the decision was based on "they're weak
enough we can do it" and the agony was entirely over "how to sell it".

While "They're weak enough we can do it" was definitely an "plus", it was
still a tough call. I'm not THAT cynical.

Yup.   By the time you boil it down to that level of detail, you've
found your reason to vote for Kerry even though it doesn't make all
that much difference.

Ugh. I wouldn't go that far. Have you actually read anything Kerry's written? I'm not going to vote for Kerry just because I think Bush could have done a better job, I'd have to think Kerry could do a better job, which I don't.

Hell, I could have done a better job at my work yesterday, that doesn't mean I
should get fired.

 Pierce