Re: [Gnu-arch-users] +ACI-Inserting+ACI- a tree

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] +ACI-Inserting+ACI- a tree
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:31:37 +0100

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 21:09:21 -0700, C. R. Oldham wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am experimenting with using Arch to version control my OpenACS based
> sites.
>
> I followed some excellent instructions at
> http://rubick.com:8002/openacs/arch
>
> And imported a copy of the current OpenACS tree into my archive.  I then
> branched it to create a development branch, and branched that to create
> a production branch of a particular website.  So my archive branches
> look like this:
>
> openacs-5-1 -> website---dev--1.0 -> website--production--1.0
>
> I realized this afternoon, however, that I should have branched first to
> a local version of the stock OpenACS code, from which I would branch to
> make all my other OpenACS based sites.  The reason for this is that I am
> using tla-cvs-sync to keep the openacs-5-1 branch in sync with the
> upstream, and I sometimes make changes to that version that I will want
> to replay into all my OpenACS-based sites.
>
> So the archive geneaology would look like this:
>
> openacs-5-1 -> openacs-5-1-local -> website--dev-1.0 ->
> website--production--1.0
>
> However, I already have a fair amount of changesets in website--dev and
> website--production, so I don't want to blow them all away and start
> over.  Is there any clean way to "insert" the openacs-5-1-local branch?
> Or do I instead need to branch from openacs-5-1 and then star-merge
> changes over from openacs-5-1-local to my other branches?

First create the openacs-local branch.

Then make sure the website--dev is up to date with the ancestor.

Use tla sync-tree command to tell tla, that website--dev already
contains the base revision of openacs-local (tla star-merge does not
follow tags, so you have to use this command to tell manualy).

Now you can star-merge from openacs-local to website-dev, so it will
work like if openacs-local was ancestor of website-dev in the first
place.

If you are using replay only, you simply make that branch and go on
replaying it's changes on the website-dev. (replay is just a patch
application. It will happily replay anything on anything (possibly
creating conflicts).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>