Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] Debian should move all GPL sw to non-free

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] Debian should move all GPL sw to non-free
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 01:54:04 -0500

Tom Lord has claimed that if the Debian Free Software Guidlines (DFSG)
is interpreted to mean that the Gnu Free Document License (GFDL) is
nonfree, then the Gnu Public License (GPL) must be nonfree as well.

First, Lord quotes the section of the DFSG that he believes comes into
conflict with the GDFL. By use of deduction from the later parts of
Lord's essay, he is essentially claiming that the paragraph should be
interpreted to mean that, with the exception of legal necessities, the
source code should be freely modifiable in its entirety.

Lord goes on to cover the main points of contention between the DFSG and
the GFDL. His charactarization is accurate; well respected developers of
the Debian team do indeed interpret the GFDL as being in conflict with
the DFSG. His examples of reasons why the GFDL is interpreted to be in
conflict with the DFSG is correct as well. Sections of the GFDL can be
locked so as others may not modify certain sections and other sections
must be removed, and so forth.

Lord then continues on, claiming that within the GPL a clause exists
that requires interactive programs to include a banner. This clause,
which shall shall forthwith be referred to as the "banner clause", does
exist in the GPL under section 2C.

The next step that Lord takes is that he claims that the banner clause
is not a necessary instrument of copyright, but an instrument of
politics. Again, Lord has perceived correctly. The banner clause is not
necessary for the software to perform its intended purpose.

Lord then combines his assetions to make the following statement: The
GPL, by requiring a statement that goes beyond the minimum required to
preserve copyright, fails to meet the criteria established by the DFSG.

Lord's claim fails at several points. He also fails to logically
support his claim by commiting a number of logical fallacies.

If we rely on Lord's logic, then the banner clause is
not code at all, but a political claim. If we take Lord's claims on the
surface, then we can not treat his argument fairly and must stop here.
However, if we read into what his argument implies -- namely that these
licenses are more generalized than 'just software licenses', we can
continue to limp on.

Lords claim is weakend when we consider the banner clause of the GPL.
The only way that we can agree with Lord on this point is if we resort
to black-and-white thinking. His claim essentially reduces thusly: If
_any_ part of the GPL can in the least bit be considered less free than
possible, then it must not be considered free at all. This claim, like
other black-and-white claims, fails miserably when considered in the
light of reason. Licenses, like many other issues, may have varying
degrees of freeness. One can reasonably argue that unlicensed software
is freer than BSD licensed software; BSD licensed software is freer than
the GPL, and the GPL is more free than the GFDL; so forth and so on. The
banner clause does not place an onerous burden upon the freeness of
software.

The second largest failure is that Lord referenced, but failed to
take into account, was that the DFSG _defines_ the GPL as a free license.
Thus, a priori, we know that the GPL is free software.

The most significant failure of Lord's is that we have the benefit of
followup definitions from the creators of the DFSG that have clarified
the issue. We know a priori that the GPL is a free license and that the
GFDL is not a free license because they have publicly defined them as such.

Left with no legs to stand on, Lords argumement siezes and falls onto
its side. For the sake of pity, let us be charitable and grant Lord's
argument one more breath of life -- If the GPL is free, must we also
consider the GFDL as free as well?

Fortunately, no. The GPL and the GFDL are different licenses. Both
licenses have different clauses in them, seek to solve a different issue
(the claim of the GPL is to license free software, the claim of the GFDL
is to license free documentation). Most importantly, the GPL and the
GFDL have different restrictions on use. The GPL requires approximately
4 lines of information; the GFDL allows for requirements that can be
stretched to any arbitrary length. These differences are more than
enough to allow one to safely consider the licenses independantly.

As such, Lord's argument breathes its last death, and we are left with
nothing to do but to bury the poor thing.