RE: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help

From: Parker, Ron
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:22:05 -0600

> From: Aaron Bentley [mailto:address@hidden

> >One word of warning, those downloading a torrent must at the
> same time be
> >sharing the torrent.  This does not work for anyone behind an opaque
> >firewall and they rapidly become supplier starved because
> they are not able
> >to give back to the network.

Obviously from the FAQ, http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html, my
statement here was not entirely accurate.  They will be able to download,
just at a penalized rate:

        I'm behind a firewall/NAT, can I use BitTorrent?

            Yes, but you will get better performance if other peers can
connect to you....

> My understanding is that those behind a firewall can only upload to
> those who aren't behind a firewall.  Those who don't have
> firewalls have
> more potiential peers than those who do.

This may be true.  I don't know if bittorrent supports firewalled and NAT'd
clients uploading through a different mechanism than clients which are not
"behind the veil".  I thought from what I read that they might be tried as
part of the "optimistic unchoking" in bittorrent.  That's where my
inaccurate statement about becoming supplier starved came from.  I now see
that it will work for these users, merely at a diminished performance level,
http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html.