[Gnu-arch-users] Tlaa on wndows - new pathcompression scheme

From: lode . leroy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Tlaa on wndows - new pathcompression scheme
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:05:24 +0200 (CEST)

Someone on this mailing list wrote that pathcompression
appears to work, but that the mapping to numbers is kinda
ugly... or he didn't realy like it but could live with it.

First reaction was to think "shoo, go away fool"

Last night, I got thinking about it, and though
"what mapping could you use instead?"

Then, I was struck by a touch of genius:

one could use "DOS Names" instead:
you know, "C:\PROGRA~1" for "C:\Program Files"

Then immediately, it struck me: Microsoft is maintaining
this mapping, making sure it's unique...

try "DIR /X" in command.

I got back out of bed to try this, and yes, on my NT4/FAT
I could make directories
mkdir "TryingToMakeDirectoriesWithLongNames"
chdir "TRYING~1"
rince ... repeat ...

So, mapping
"C:\Documents And Settings\Lode Leroy\My
Projects\hello-world--mainline--1.0")

onto

C:\DOCUME~1\Lode L~1\My Proje~1\hello-wo~1"
you can get 20 levels deep, with max 11 chars per level !!!

I don't have time to implement this, since I'll be away from computers and
the Internet for over a week... I hope to come back and download the
implementation from someone else :-)
(Johannes, you have 1 week !)

-- lode

Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas
Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas
http://www.advalvas.be