Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Packaging.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Packaging.
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:35:19 -0500

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 04:18:09PM -0500, Jonathan Daugherty wrote:
> This is all, barring other misc things like putting a big fat
> changelog into the dir, as well.
> I agree; I would have concocted the above myself, but it's rather
> inelegant and I hoped there would be a Better Way To Do It.

The problem is the `other misc things' you mention above.

It's like fork/exec vs. spawn: the former is more elegant than the latter,
and arguably simpler to use (even though it requires `more steps'), because
of the stuff you can do in between the fork and the exec; you almost always
want to do _something_, but the details tend to depend on the application.

A `maketarfile' script intended for wide use would probably end up with 2,897
options covering all kind of random arcana; it seems simpler (and more
elegant) to just make your own script that does tla get + misc + tar.

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.