Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help

From: Evan Powers
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:19:08 -0500

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 03:33 am, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Try http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/bittorrentecon.pdf.

Oops. Find & Replaced case once too often.

> Well, I have a one-line proof that BitTorrent doesn't scale in the
> application I'm interested in (object discovery): it doesn't do it at
> all.  ;-)

Ha, serves me right for joining the middle of a thread without reading the
context.

Ever heard of ALPINE (alpine.sf.net)? It attempts to be a scaleable object
discovery system. I think it's all but dead now (it was never much more than
a research project), and it's pretty obvious it isn't perfect, but there are
interesting ideas.

Basically it tries to be a fully connected mesh, so there's no exponential
explosion like with Gnutella. Per-node overhead, as far as I could tell back
when I looked at it, is linear in network size for both search time and
resources.

Evan