Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:15:42 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:

I guess I also left out there the issue of mirroring.  If you're
working on the head revision, a mirror is very handy but a history of
11k past commits is usually not.

True. But that's only because you're mirroring the entire package version. I think a patch cache would serve your needs better than a local mirror.

That way, it could be (very) incomplete without interfering with your ability to retrieve new packages, or old revisions you never thought you'd care about. Revlibs and backbuilding greatly reduce the need for cacherevs.

A tactic that you might consider: use CVS or RCS or (least likely but
possible) SVN to hold the annotate database.   The problem is reduced
to plumbing and namespace mapping.

Another possible tactic: use Arch. Tag the revisions to be annotated, (with --no-cacherev) and store the annotations in the patch-log of the tag revision.

Aaron