[Gnu-arch-users] Moving accompagnying files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving accompagnying files
Date: 06 Apr 2004 11:09:12 -0400

Let's say I have checked out a tree of the Emacs source, compiled (in place)
and all.
If an update moves the file lisp/foo.el to lisp/bar.el, how can I make sure
that lisp/foo.elc (i.e. the byte-compiled form of foo.el) is also moved
to lisp/bar.elc (or alternatively is completely removed) ?

I know Arch can't do it all automatically, but maybe I could tell it
that .el files have .elc files attached to them?  Or maybe I could use
a hook in tla that would allow me to get it to what I want?
Or otherwise write a wrapper around tla to do what I want?

Has anybody already attempted to solve such a problem?
Right now, I just live with the fac that I sometimes have to manually
remove left-over .elc files, which is OK since file moves are fairly
infrequent (especially since the main repository is on CVS ;-), but
I wish I could make it more robust (since I sometimes fail to notice when
a file gets moved).

        Stefan