Re: [Gnu-arch-users] binary executables as precious files

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] binary executables as precious files
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:58:30 -0700

On Apr 6, 2004, at 13:19, Milan Cvetkovic wrote:

Jani Monoses wrote:
is it possible to specify a rule that "binary executable" is a
"precious file", so tla would not complain about the results of the
build process as "unrecognized files"?
Do you mean having an inventory based not only on names but also on file
attributes too?

Well, I have a substantial tree, having about 20-30 libraries and executables built. It is fairly easy to eliminate libraries since they all follow the same naming convention lib*.so.*, but the executables we build do not have a naming convention.

At the same time, they are the only files:
- it is a binary ELF executables (file would return predictable output)
- and it has its execute prmission set.

It looks like I am asking for too much, but it would be cool if you could specify such a thing.

The most maintainable thing to do is separate your build from your source trees. There are a lot of advantages to doing that.

        Otherwise, just list the output files in inventory files in your tree.

--
Dustin Sallings