Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some newbie questions...

From: Matthew Reppert
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some newbie questions...
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:24:29 -0500

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 18:45, Elijah Newren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 3) I have a bunch of cvs projects, basically created by:
>      mkdir ~/cvs
>      cvs -d ~/cvs init
>      -do lots of cvs imports for different projects, so that
>       ~/cvs has multiple subdirectories-
> What's the arch equivalent to those project names (i.e. subdirectory
> names under ~/cvs)?  Is it the archive name (i.e. the
> 'address@hidden' in the tutorial), the category
> ('hello-world' in the tutorial), or something else?

These are probably category names. You can more or less equate
"category" with "project" and have it be accurate. For example,
I keep all of my personally-developed code in subdirectories
of ~/devel. For the sake of example, each directory contains the
leading edge of the mainline branch of the arch category with
the same name as the directory (which you could roughly equate
to the HEAD working area of a cvs module with the same name as
the directory).

e.g., the main development branch of any given category I develop
in these days is called "mainline", my-default-archive is
address@hidden ... so,
        ~/devel/watts
holds the code for
        address@hidden/watts--mainline--0.2
and
        ~/devel/wmsystray
holds the code for
        address@hidden/wmsystray--mainline--0.2
and so forth.

(You may later find it useful to have subdirectories for
different branches of an arch category as well, since branching
and merging in arch is Easy[tm]. I do this myself when I'm
developing significantly large changes to a codebase that I'd
like to do in parallel with other development.)

Matt