Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about greedy library and history

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about greedy library and history
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:07:37 +0200

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 12:20:09AM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> David Allouche wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:16:34AM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >
> >>David Allouche wrote:
> >
> >Do not get me wrong, the old code _did_ allow hardlinks to cross
> >tag and archive boundaries when building a revlib, didn't it?
>
> As far as I can figure it, the old code *did* cross archive boundaries,
> but only if the revlib contained the immediate ancestor.  I guess that
> way you don't need access to the ancestor archive.  That subtlety was
> lost on me earlier, but of course, it makes a big difference.

Okay, that's good to know.

What is the new rule? If the revlib is non-sparse, under which
circumstances will the the parent revision be built, and under which
circumstances will the cachedrev be used instead (breaking hardlinks)?

Anyway, that's probably not going to make a big difference on the revlib
size...

> >In fact I'm already getting frustrated with tlash. I tried to talk
> >Rob Weir into releasing his python shell stuff, so I spend less
> >time in dead-end sh-scripting, but he just ended saying "I'm a wuss,
> >I'll reimplement all of aba before releasing"...
>
> Before aba, all I'd really written in shell were backup scripts, so it's
> been an education.  But I've been meaning to learn Python anyhow.  And
> like I said to the fellow who wanted to implement a tla wrapper in Perl,
> implementing aba isn't hard, and it'd probably be shorter in a real
> programming language.
>
> Implementing tlash in Python would be the real challenge...

According to what I was able to extract from Rob, that's already
essentially done, and more. But he feels like he needs a bigger critical
mass of actual features before making a public release. Or maybe he was
just pulling my leg.

Maybe with your help, we can be toghether enough of a PITA so that he
will release his stuff ;)

Yes, I want my new toy!

--
                                                            -- ddaa