Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 02:45:03 -0400

>> Remember the server doesn't need to run arch - there is no archd.
>>=20
>> https://gna.org/ is another possibility (which also happens to run the sa=
> vannah
>> code). They claim to admin the server "democratically" in accordance with
>> a constitution, which seems cool.
>
> "Democratic" is one of those words that should start alarm bells
> ringing, much like "best" or "politically correct". Especially in
> relation to any software project. Any project that starts out by
> defining decision making processes is probably not going anywhere in a
> hurry, and comprised mostly of managers.

I absolutely agree with you.

Growing up, I was instilled with a strong sense of how powerful a group
of people could be. Then, as I got older, I empirically came to
understand two fundamental truths:

    1. Most people are not only poorly educated, but are ironically
    proud of their poor education.

    2. Any democratically managed entity is going to be ruled by the
    people in #1.

--
James Blackwell          Please do not send me carbon copies of mailing
Smile more!              list posts. Such mail is unsolicited. Thank you!