[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Backing up Arch archives

From: Julian T. J. Midgley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Backing up Arch archives
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:41:07 +0000 (UTC)

I've added a few notes on backing up and restoring Arch archives to the wiki
at:
http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/Backing_20up_20and_20restoring_20Arch_20archives

Whilst writing that, it occurred to me that it's possible that tla
updates the archive in such a way that it's probably just as safe and
significantly faster to backup via rsync or tar.  I vaguely remember
reading somewhere that it manipulates the repository by creating
temporary directories, filling them with whatever stuff is required,
and renaming them into place when finished.  If so, presumably the
worst that could occur if, say, someone committed part way through a
backup, is that the backup ends up containing a random temporary
directory that tla would presumably ignore if you ever had to restore
from it.

Is this true for all operations that can be performed an archive?
I.e. can one take self-consistent backups of live Arch archives with
simple recursive copy operations?  Apologies if this has been asked a
thousand times before, or if it's obvious(ly wrong?); I'll summarise
the responses of the knowledgeable on the Wiki so it doesn't crop up
again.

Julian

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                       http://www.xenoclast.org/