[Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers
Date: 21 Apr 2004 13:32:42 -0400

> This strikes me as a variant of the "replay --reverse p6 ; commit"

The difference is that it keeps more info about the fact that tla does not
have to apply patch-7 to get to patch-9.
Whether the tla implementation can take advantage of such info to avoid
spurious conflicts when doing things like `replay' from patch-4 to patch-9.

The spurious conflict I'm thinking of is when you have a local change that
conflicts with the undesired patch-6: if `replay' applies patch-6
and then patch-7 (where patch-7 undoes patch-6) you get to resolve the
(same) conflicts twice, whereas if it can skip over the undesired patch,
you avoid the problem.
Relevant in cases where patch-6 erroneously removes a file, or changes the
line-ending from LF to CRLF, ...

        Stefan