Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Slow inventories on large source trees

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Slow inventories on large source trees
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:37:07 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:

> Is that necessary? With names tagging, it shouldn't need to stat > anything, should it?

Yes, it's necessary.   `find' can sometimes get by with just a `chdir'
that might fail but `inventory' can not.

Surprising to me, but irrelevent, since we're not losing time in stats anyhow. Has anyone tested tla on Reiser4 (where every file is also a directory)?

    > [other message]

> It's calling filename_matches 89750 times -- about 21 times per file in > the Wine tree, so I suspect that can be reduced, hopefully to single digits.

You elsewhere mentioned that that's a `changes' profile, not
`inventory' -- so you're counting _2_ inventories.   The actual
average is about 10.5 times per file.

For inventory, it was about 7 times per file. Perhaps there's an extra inventory call in "changes" that we can eliminate?

Abently, are you interested in working on this?

I'll see how hairy it is. I'm not expert with regexes, but I'm interested. (Abentley with two e's, please.)

Do you know about the
`cut' operator in Rx?  (I.e., you don't want to combine those
filename_matches calls by adding parentheses to regexps.  You want to
arrange for the final state label of the dfa to tell you which pattern
matched.)

Oh, good.  I was afraid we'd lose classification by combining regexes.

I also considered memoizing the regex results. Obviously, that won't help "changes" if the regexes change, but if assoc_tables are faster, it might be a win for the common case.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology