Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [HEY TOM!] unhelpful error for unreadable directori

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [HEY TOM!] unhelpful error for unreadable directories
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:12:21 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:

    > "Error encountered checking for nested project trees in %s:\n%s
    > accessing %s\n", directory, errno_to_string (errn), file);

That error message is misleading to experts.  How about:

I must not be understanding, because I don't see how experts can be mislead by that. Maybe the context isn't interesting for someone who knows Arch well, but
"Permission denied accessing foo/{arch}." can't be misleading can it?

        Error checking for existence of: foo/{arch}
         (from lstat): Permission denied (13)

If you want to be really factual, you should say "(from vu_lstat)".

A message like that is a good explanation of what caused the program to stop, but providing a bit of context about *why* we were doing it is helpful to people who don't know Arch inside and out.

I think we're stalemated. I can't think of an alternative that isn't repeating my above message.

Aaron