Re: [Gnu-arch-users] those pesty .#blah emacs symlinks

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] those pesty .#blah emacs symlinks
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:18:14 -0500

--- Original Message ---
From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
To: Robert Anderson <address@hidden>
CC: Miles Bader <address@hidden>, address@hidden

>> But I'm guessing why others are running into this often enough
to complain
>> about.
>
>It sounds like it could be indicative of a deeper problem (emacs
crashing all
>the time, users shutting down their computer without saving!),
and perhaps
>warrant more investigation.

Or perhaps they just want to commit without saving, and without a
multi-step process to subvert a safeguard that they don't want.

This would be roughly analagous to emacs flat refusing to quit
with unsaved buffers.  That it is configurable to prompt you is
fine.  That it is configurable not to prompt you is better.  Were
it simply to insist that you may not leave until you save or
revert all your buffers would be a pretty awful design, IMO.
That's basically what arch is doing here.  I don't think much
defense in the form of "well I like that because I always want to
save before quitting" or "well you could always revert the
buffers first, then it will allow you to quit" would or should fly.

Bob