Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Registered and official names

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Registered and official names
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:54:23 -0400

James Blackwell wrote:

With mirroring, I have a guarantee that, at the time of mirroring, I
have everything that is in the archive that I'm mirroring.
Would read caching make the same guarantees?

I most certainly don't want my cache to be a mirror.

That said, the implementation would probably be a mirror variant, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to make archive-mirror work with caches.

I must be misreading you. Didn't you say "we wouldn't need local
mirrors?" As in, 'do this caching thing, and now nobody needs a local
mirror any more'

I was being self-centered. I use a local mirror for download reduction, not disconnected operation.

For me, a cache would provide
1. download reduction
2. writethrough

For you, it would provide
1. disconnected operation
2. writethrough (when connected).

You'd have to treat it like a mirror though, to ensure you were up to date.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology