Re: [Gnu-arch-users] sgid bits and commits

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] sgid bits and commits
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 12:06:08 +0800

Robert Anderson wrote:

| I'm confused by the behavior I'm seeing on commits in one of my
| archives.  The parent directory is group A (say), and my default
| group is group U.
[...]
| My usage scenario is that I want my archive to be readable by
| group A.  I don't want to have to go in and do chgrp -R every
| time I do a commit.  What's the solution?

I've recently set up an archive that I want to be group-writable, so I
have an appropriate umask set and every directory in the archive
chmod'ed g+s.  Accessing it using sftp:// works perfectly, with the
setgid bits and my umask honoured as expected.  I haven't yet tried
committing to it locally... perhaps I should...  <tries it> Yup, that
works correctly too.

I'm afraid I'm not enough of a tla hacker to know what might be
different in your case, though :-/  One thing, though:  I did have to
chgrp and chmod the archive after initially creating it (with tla
make-archive).  Does your ${ARCHIVE}/proj/proj--branch/proj--branch--ver/
hierarchy have the write group and permissions?

Cameron.