[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Managing smart fixed-size library

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Managing smart fixed-size library
Date: 04 May 2004 17:13:14 -0400

> I.e., what is the mathematical way to say tla--devo--1.2--patch-113 is
> more important than tla--devo--1.2--patch-25 and less important than,
> say, address@hidden/linus--mainline--2.6--patch-6?

I'd take "distance to the previous revision".
I.e. if the revlib has 6, 25, 110, 113, then the distance would be:

  6 -> infinity
 25 -> 19
110 -> 85
113 -> 3

This is based on the assumption that reconstructing revision N takes time
proportional to the distance between N and the previous revision in the
library (i.e. time propoertional to the number of patches to apply),
and that any revision is just as likely to be requested as any other.

The first assumption seems about right.  The second is probably wrong
because more recent revisions are more likely to be requested than very
old ones.

        Stefan