Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST: lord] documentation and help enhanc

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST: lord] documentation and help enhancements
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:08:22 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > > One thing I don't see is a way to specify a merge which consists of a
    > > list of specific, non-contiguous changesets.

    > My gut feeling is that the 'right' way to specify a merge is by giving
    > the revision to merge into, and a list of revisions to apply, suitable
    > for replay --list.

Do you mean just for the cherry-picking case?  (Ok.)  or in general?
(not ok).

    > Optional metadata on top of that can provide hints
    > for inexact patching. I don't think we have a tool which can generate
    > that list for any of the merge methods barring replay, though.

I think we can identify a few common branching patterns and just use
those.  The proposed format has something for "merge everything in
this version", for example.  That could be combined with a suggested
--reference version for star-merge.

I'm not too crazy about the idea of naming the target version or
revision to merge into.  The proposed format talks about base
revisions instead and that seems right to me.

Mostly, though, whatever it turns out to be, i'd like to get it really
practical.  I.e., pipe one of these things into a tool, perhaps adding
the target version as a parameter, and have it produce a reasonable
tree.

Pqm should eventually pick up on this, too.