Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch requires huge amount of memories..

From: Marc Recht
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch requires huge amount of memories..
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 02:08:28 +0200

> No, but I can't imagine it would be that hard to write one.

Me too, but I guess I'm better of starting to put only packages into
arch which I maintain or have other interest in.

> No no, you'd have a address@hidden/configs--main--0
> containing files like:
>
> configs/netbsd.org/pkgsrc-main
> configs/netbsd.org/pkgsrc-1.6.2
> configs/netbsd.org/pkgsrc-1.5.3
>
> etc.

I see. I've currently built it like this:
pkgsrc/
pkgsrc/configs/pkgsrc
pkgsrc/Makefile
pkgsrc/CVS
pkgsrc/CVS/Entries

(The root of the CVS Tree)

and then eg.:
devel/
devel/Makefile
devel/CVS
..

and so on for each pkgsrc root-category (== first level dir)

and then:
devel/tla
devel/tla/CVS

and so on for each package.

> The contents of those files would look like this:
>
> ./            address@hidden/pkgsrc-framework--main--0
> ./devel/stlport address@hidden/devel-stlport--main--0.1
> ./multimedia/gstreamer        address@hidden/multimedia-gstreamer--main--0.1

this like:
./devel         address@hidden/devel--devo--1.0
./devel/tla     address@hidden/devel-tla--devo--1.0

want I want to archieve is something like
tla get address@hidden/pkgsrc--devo pkgsrc
And have everything ready to start.

If I understood your config correctly (hadn't any time to test it) then
I'd have to but the "configs" checkout into an other place and then
start from there. Eg. having:
/configs
/pkgsrc

Or am I thinking too much like CVS wants me too.. ;-) (After all those
years I'm sure it left it's marks..)

> And actually if you have the invariant that there are no two packages of
> the same name but in different directories (in the devel and multimedia
> sense), then you can just drop the package directory from the tla
> category, like:

No, having the directory in the Name is just fine. IMHO it's clearer.

> You can use changes in each individual one to get changes for that
> package.  Robert Collins has a config-manager which I think can
> recursively do changes.

Cool!

BTW, thanks for your help. I'm slowly getting used to arch. I'm still in
the phase where I whish it would be more like ( / behave like) CVS,
though. ;-) I had to learn quite painfully that "rm <file> && tla update
file" really doesn't behave like it's CVS counterpart..

Cheers,
Marc